Monday, May 12, 2008

Sticks & Stones may break my bones but staffs that turn to snakes scare me!!

During my daily devotion time this evening Iwas reading Exodus chapter 2-4. Now, I have read this scripture before but the Spirit shed some new light on it for me tonight that I though Iwould share. Many of us would like to have a burning bush moment like Moses did. I know there have been times when I prayed, "God can you please just spell it out for me, you know like burn a bush, write it on a wall, smack me over the head with it or something. ;D Sound familiar? I hope so...I hope I am not the only one who has struggled with hearing the father on this journey. Well as I read along this evening one particular set of verses caught my attention.
1 Moses answered, "What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, 'The LORD did not appear to you'?"
2 Then the LORD said to him, "What is that in your hand?" "A staff," he replied.
3 The LORD said, "Throw it on the ground." Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it. 4 Then the LORD said to him, "Reach out your hand and take it by the tail." So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into a staff in his hand.
Exodus 4:1-4 (New International Version)
Now for a long while I believed that God really did this so that the Isrealites would believe what Moses had to say and that he really was speaking for God.
Tonight however the Spirit revealed a different view to me....God didn't do this for the Isrealites, he did this for Moses. God would not have sent Moses to the Isrealites without first making the way possible. All Moses really needed to do was to respond to God by doing as the father asked but Moses was scared. God gave Moses this super staff not really to impress anyone else but to empower Moses to do what he needed to do. Much like giving a child a "special magic blanket" to make them invisible to the "Boogie Man" so they can sleep alone at night without being afraid of the dark.
This brings to mind many times I have felt like God was asking me to do something only to keep asking over and over, "God is this really what you want me to do or am I just imagining this?".
My prayer tonight is that I will never need God to give me a "special magic blanket" and that as you read this post you won't need one either.
Let us all follow the leading of the Spirit without question and without fail. The God who created us and loves us would never ask his children to do something that he doesn't allready know we can if we only trust in him.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I so enjoy reading your posts. Never have I not learned from them!
In our everyday life you are forever "revealing" news to me! God blessed me as your wife!! I love being part of your spiritual walk!!!

Viking ThorLok said...

Wow, Steve, I never thought of it that way. God indeed works in wonderous ways and that made sense what you wrote. THanks!

-Canaan