Tuesday, September 30, 2008

BIG FISH OR LITTLE FISH

It’s a cold winter morning and you awake to the annoying buzz of the alarm clock. It’s time for that age old decision. “Do I get up and leave to comfort of my warm, cozy, comfortable bed or………just roll over sleep away the day. It’s a tempting thought for many of us. Maybe for you the decision is whether to try a new opportunity or direction in some area of life or just stay where you are. Keep things the way they are. No surprises, just the comfort of knowing things will be the way they have always been.
I was out fishing one day not long ago. It was a nice warm day and I was just enjoying one of my favorite pastimes with my wife. As I sat there in the sun mulling over the sermon I had heard that morning it occurred to me that we are a lot like some of those fish. Certain species spend their youth in the shelter and comfort of the inland waters. They thrive there in that protection, safe from the storms and predators of the big water outside of the inlet. There comes a point though, if they are to reach their full potential of 50 or 60 pounds, that they take their chances in the “big water”.
I love the safety and comfort of my church. I like knowing that I know all the people. I can usually anticipate how the service will be. Most everyone there are Christians and will not challenge my faith. It’s safe, warm , and comfortable.
I strongly believe that it is inherently important to take full advantage of this safety zone to grow in the foundations of our faith. Wednesday night bible study to equip us with the scriptural basis of our beliefs. A strong traditional service to teach us the ancient practices of the faith and assemble together as the body united in prayer, worship, and study.
The question is, what if that’s all there is? What if we just stay the way we are, simply continue doing things the way we always do? What if we choose to be comfortable? Will we ever experience our full potential? Will we have the opportunity to put into practice what we learn in a way that changes the world around us? Will we decide today to be “big fish” or “little fish”?
Just my thoughts.
Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

No comments: